Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Protein Shortage?

It seems like people everywhere are eating chicken breasts, fish, lean meat, and chugging down protein shakes in hope to lose fat. They have heard from "experts" that by eating a lot of protein that they will lose more fat.

I do agree that protein is important, and some people may not get enough (not common in America). However, I don't agree with the need to take in huge quantities of protein.

Let me share something with you. I am a vegetarian, and have been since July. I get the majority of my protein from nuts, beans, legumes, and vegetables. Also included are the occasion egg and protein shakes.

I was curious as to what would happen when I stopped consuming meat. Would I lose muscle? Would I gain fat? No and no. There is no noticable change in my physique, but I do feel much better and have more energy; I also get over illnesses much quicker and they aren't as severe.

Don't get in the trap that you need huge amounts of protein; it's just not true. Many people are chugging protein shakes all day because they think it's necessary.

Let me tell you this: the only time you need to consume a protein shake (if at all) is right after a workout, or if you simply don't have whole, natural food available. Some people need to keep protein powder readily available because they are on the go a lot and they don't want to eat fast food.

Whole food is always better than a supplement. Always has been, always will, and this will never change.

No comments: