Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Diet/Fat Loss Disasters: Part 4

Resistance train! Too many people only diet to lose weight. If they do exercise, it is usually some type of long, slow cardio. Just relying on diet and cardio to lose weight is not that smart. If you want to have a lean, athletic looking body, then you must train with weights and bodyweight exercises.

When I say “train with weights” I don’t mean use light weight for high reps; that methodology is crap, and it won’t get you the body you want. Ninety percent of your exercises should be big movements like squats, deadlifts, lunges, pushups, dips, bench presses, overhead presses, rows, chin-ups and all of their variations. Bicep curls and triceps kick-backs are not going to shape your body. Spend your time on big, compound exercises to build a lean, healthy body.

If you only have 30 minutes to spare 3-4 days a week, you will be much better off spending that time training with weights instead of doing cardio.

If you are ready to get serious about your fat loss, check out the program I have used myself and with my clients. If you only want to train 3 times a week, check out Turbulence Training. You can try it out for 21 days for only $4.95!

4 comments:

alapplegate said...

I am so glad to read your comments regarding weight training. I love training with weights and train pretty hard. My girlfriends give me a hard time about my muscles and tell me to quit and only do cardio....so thanks for the extra info.

Nia Shanks said...

Keep training with weights! Don't be ashamed about having "muscles." It's very empowering to feel strong.

Only doing cardio will give you that "soft" look that marathoners have. Also, it will lower your metabolism because you will lose muscle.

Who would want that?

Thanks for the comment; let me know if you have any questions!

Anonymous said...

This post was extremely informative. When I was looking for a crisis intervention in my area I knew that there was help close by.

Dallas said...

Great post! I needed some cheap backpacks and didn’t know where to look and then I found these guys. Fast and pro.