Friday, May 8, 2009

How to Lose the Stubborn Pounds, Part 2

If you didn’t read the first part to this mini-series, go back and read it right now.

By now you have decided whether or not you have some stubborn fat you want to lose. If you do want to lose those last stubborn pounds, there are a couple different directions you can take.

First, you absolutely need to get your nutrition in check. I have heard that fat loss is 90% diet, 80% diet, and 70% diet. Look, I don’t give a damn if fat loss is 78.57240952% diet; all I know is that it is imperative that you eat right.

So, you have a few options here as far as diet goes. For the record, I hate the term “diet” because you really should be trying to make a lifestyle change. Instead of looking to “go on a diet” for 12 weeks, try to find eating habits you can maintain with ease for the long term. That is how you get long lasting success. Most diets are meant to fail so you keep going back to them.

As I have mentioned numerous times, you need to eat whole, natural, unprocessed foods. Also, limit your grain intake to post workout meals only. This will allow your body to use the carbohydrates for muscle repair and replenishing your glycogen stores. If you don’t workout today, then don’t eat any grain products (bread, cereal, pasta, etc).

Nutrition is not my forte, so if you truly need some detailed guidance on making smart food choices and deciding on how to structure your eating, then I would suggest you check out Fat Loss Troubleshoot by clicking on the blue link. That is by far more detailed and Leigh has fat loss success down to a science.

And, if you want to try a completely untraditional fat loss method, then check out Eat Stop Eat for one of the easiest “diets” I have ever used. In fact, I’ll be going back to this method myself in the next couple of weeks. More on that later . . .

There are no ways around the fact that you must eat right for fat loss. Find healthy eating habits that are convenient for you and stick to them. Remember, they don’t have to be hard and difficult. Don’t adopt eating habits that are inconvenient or overly time consuming. Set yourself up for success.

Next time I will discuss how you should train for fat loss.

Leave your questions and comments below.

1 comment:

Kelley Moore said...

Hi Nia, I think this is a great post and I am a personal testimony to the fact that you can work like a dog in your training and completely undo it with your eating habits. The more I clean up my eating, the leaner I get, there's just no other way to do it if you want to change it for life, as you described it. Thanks for posting this because I think there still is a long way to go to get this message out there.