Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Best Cardio Exercise

People all too often think that to be healthy means they have to spend hours a week doing something they hate; it’s almost like it’s torture. “Dang, I’ve got to get my cardio in today.” People are forcing themselves to do something they hate!

So, what is the best way to perform a cardio workout? My answer: by doing something you enjoy.

Just let me explain. The best method for getting in your cardio work is the one that you will do consistently. If you hate what you’re doing, chances are you won’t stick to for long.

There are more options here than people realize. Do you enjoy participating in any recreation sports? If so, play those! What were some of your favorite activities when you were a kid? Try to get outdoors. Most people are confined to indoors most of the time. Take this time to get out and enjoy the fresh air.

Even something as simple as going to the park to play with your kids can count as your “cardio workout”. Run around, play tag, climb on the monkey bars . . . just do something! Getting healthy doesn’t mean you have to do something completely structured and planned. Personally, I don’t like typical cardio workouts like riding a stationary bike or using an elliptical machine. I much prefer to lift weights. However, I know the importance of keeping my cardiovascular system healthy, so I make sure I include those sessions.

But, I don’t walk on a treadmill like a hamster or do spinning classes. Instead I like to go rock climbing, hiking through the woods, and bike riding on trails. Another personal favorite is playing soccer with my dog.


Don’t get stuck in the mindset that you have to “exercise” to be healthy. Try to find an activity that you enjoy. This is a great opportunity to find a new hobby as well.

This form of “working out” is what I like to call playing with purpose. Forget the term “workout” and just go and enjoy life. You will be more likely to be consistent if you engage in an activity that you genuinely enjoy.

One more thing: you don’t have to do hours of “cardio” each week. If you are trying to lose fat, your diet is the most important thing. That fact has never, and will never change.

If you don't have an activity or hobby to help increase your exercise levels, I highly suggest you try Bodyweight Cardio. You will save time and lose fat. These workouts can be done in the comfort of your own home in the fraction of the time most cardio workouts would take. Check out Bodyweight Cardio right now!

No comments: