Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dance Your Way to Great Abs?



Do yourself a favor if you need a big laugh: watch this video!

Thank you, Greer Childers. The video you just watched is an actual follow-along workout video from the good ole 80’s. I have to thank my Mom for showing this to me years ago. No, she didn’t have it for its original intended purpose-to us the video is for amusement purposes only. This blog post isn't about this video; I just wanted you to have a good laugh and see some of the crazy "workout" stuff that's out there.

Yesterday morning I turned the TV on while I relaxed with a cup of coffee. We only have 5 channels to choose from because we rock out the bunny ears. I can’t tell you the last time I paid for cable. At 9 in the morning on a Saturday, the only choices we had were cartoons (not the good ones that I grew up with, otherwise I would have watched) or infomercials. My curiosity got the best of me, so I decided to watch the infomercial. It was for “Core Rhythm”; DVDs that teach you how to dance your way to a flat stomach from the popular TV show Dancing with the Stars.

The claim on the infomercial was that from performing these movements you will work your core in all the major ways to help get you a flat stomach. Now look, I think the product is great for some people. Hell, anything that gets you to move more is great! And if you truly enjoy it, that’s even better.

I want to clear something up. This DVD will not help you get a flat stomach because of how you’ll move your hips when you’re dancing like Cloris Leachman. By engaging in this activity, you will be moving more, which means you’ll be burning more calories. Burning calories and altering your eating habits will help you to burn fat. Burning fat is what gets you a flatter stomach, not shaking your hips like a Latin dancer on speed.

Too many people work their abs with crunches, side bends, sit-ups, and dozens of other exercises in an effort to get a flat stomach. Please pay attention: this is not the quickest way to a flat stomach. You can have a rock hard 6 pack, but if it’s covered by fat you’re not going to see it! What you need to focus on is increasing the amount of calories you burn and building muscle (yes, ladies, this means you). This means following a well written strength training program and doing bodyweight circuits and/or interval training.

So please, don’t over-do abdominal exercises. You should also know that abdominals are like any other muscle-if you work them with high volume and high reps, you can actually increase the size of your stomach. I don’t think you want to do that.

Got it? Now let me prove my point. Things like “Core Rhythm” and “Hip Hop Abs” simply cause you to increase your activity level and help you burn more calories. That is how you will get a flatter stomach (assuming your nutrition is in check). These DVDs are no better than you going out and running around with your kids for the same amount of time with equal intensity. Granted, you may not learn some groovy dance moves, but all that matters is that you are moving!

I am not coordinated enough to dance, so I would rather go outside and run around with my crazy dog. Just keep this in mind: there is no “superior” workout. It is consistency that brings results. You will get better results on a sub-par program if you are consistent than if you have the best program ever written and you aren’t totally compliant. Never forget that point.

There you have it: move more. Whether you choose to use dancing videos, walk your dog, use a push mower instead of a riding mower, take martial arts, playing a sport, or engage in any other physical activity you enjoy. There is no secret.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh!