Friday, March 13, 2009

It Doesn't Always Go as Planned . . .

I had great intentions at the gym today. I was planning on trying out my new Asics shoes during my sumo deadlifts. I've been setting PR's every week with my sumo deadlifts, so I was excited to get to the gym and lift!

Well . . . things didn't start out great. My warm up with 135 felt a little heavier than usual. After that, each set just felt heavier and heavier. After pulling 245 for 3 reps last week, I knew 260 would come up easy. Well, it didn't even budge. It felt more like 360.

I couldn't just unload the bar and leave, so I modified the rest of my training session. I decreased the sets and weight and focused on my form.

This was a great learning experience. I'm going to adapt my workout next week so I can hopefully start setting PR's again.

Listen to your body, and make changes as necessary. Just because you have something planned doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Train smart.

No comments: