Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hill Sprints

Yesterday I ran hill sprints, but I did them a little different than usual.

For the past few months I would run the hill sprints focusing on speed, and taking as much time as I felt I needed to be mostly recovered for the next sprint.

Well, since my main focus right now is increasing my deadlift and squat, I am backing down the intensity on my hill sprints.

Yesterday I sprinted up the hill at a moderate speed, walked back down, and then immediately sprinted back up. I did this 8 times. Not sure if it really matters, but the hill I run is quite steep, so I walk down in a zig-zag pattern to take some of the stress off my knees. Just thought you might like to know that. ; )

I'm running the hill sprints right now for a few reasons:

1) I like training outdoors, getting some fresh air and sunshine

2) They're challenging, which I like

3) I want to keep my heart and lungs strong.

As much as I love lifting weights, I want to also make sure my cardiovascular system is healthy and strong. Hill sprints are great for that.

Today I'll rest up and prepare for tomorrow's workout.

No comments: