Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Walking the Line of Overtraining

Well, I got dangerously close to overtraining over the past few weeks, which I'm sure is because I was using too much volume combined with intensive training. (I'll talk more about this soon). I got a nice little cold last week, and my strength was completely zapped. It was tough just to walk up stairs, and my legs felt heavy and bodyweight movements were difficult.

So, that means it's time for a change.

I didn't train from last Thursday to yesterday, which gave me 5 days off.

I'm going to try something different. The one thing I have been learning a lot about over the past year is how my body is reacting and responding to training. Since I'm stronger and now an advanced lifter, I have to do things differently than I did when I was a novice and intermediate trainee. What I could get away with then, I can't get away with now without quickly burning out.

Here is how my current training program is going to look. I'll admit, this could change if I absolutely hate it and/or don't progress on my main lifts.

Monday: Workout A (deadlifts, military, chins, etc)
Tuesday: Sprints
Wednesday: Off (easy walk)
Thursday: Workout B (squats, dips, rows, etc)
Friday: Sprints
Saturday: Sprints or fun activity
Sunday: Off

That obviously means I'm only going to be lifting weights twice a week. I'm hoping this produces good results because I don't feel like my body can fully recover from three hard weight workouts per week.

With that in mind, I had to perform yesterday's workout today because of a family issue that was far more important than training.

Today's workout:
1) Deadlift - 225x4, 195x5 (I haven't deadlifted in a couple of weeks, and so I eased back into it today)

2a) Military Press - 80x2x5 (80 pounds, 2 sets, 5 reps), 70x8
2b) Weighted Chins - 10x2x6, bodyweight x 8

3a) DB Bench - 40x8, 35x8
3b) Negative Ab Wheel Rollout - 3x6

4) Cable Pressdown - 80x10, 70x10

The deadlifts felt heavy considering 225 is probably a 12 RM for me, but I assumed the weights would be down after not pulling for a couple of weeks, and after getting over being sick.

Other than that every other lift felt good. I expect a much better workout next Monday.

As for my eating today:

Breakfast: 3 scrambled Organic eggs (organic eggs are not only better for you, they taste better to), sweet peas, fresh local grown tomato, and watermelon. Yes, it was a random meal, but very tasty. : )

Post workout: fruit and kale shake - frozen mixed berries, frozen blueberries, banana, some fresh pineapple, pea and rice protein, and a few kale leaves. Yummy goodness. And then I had a bowl of frosted mini wheats with almond milk.

Tonight's dinner: I haven't eaten it yet, but I made vegan Louisiana Red Beans and Rice.

No comments: