Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sumo Deadlifts, RDLs & Leg Press

Today's training went well. Here's what went on a couple of hours ago.

1) Sumo Deadlift - worked up to 275 for 4 singles. I could have pulled more but didn't increase the weight since I haven't pulled sumo in well over a month or two.

2) RDL w/ 35lb plates for increased ROM - 175 x 10, 165 x 10, 155 x 12

3a) Leg Press - 3 sets 12-15 reps (I wanted to do something different, so I chose the leg press. Haven't done this in over a year but really enjoyed the change up)

3b) Negative Ab Wheel Rollout - 2 x 10

3c) Steep Decline Situp - 2 sets

I'm doing a few things differently in my training. Namely using lighter weights (except for deadlifts) and performing different exercises. Hopefully this provides some good results.

Tonight I'll probably play racquetball and tomorrow is a recovery day - that means a nice walk outside.

Oh and one more note. I've increased my daily caloric intake in an effort to gain some muscle. We'll see how this turns out.

4 comments:

Gordon Wayne Watts said...

("I haven't pulled sumo in well over a month or two.")

You mean your recent DL's that weren't say rack pulls or RDL's were all conventional (not sumo)?

PS: I will admit I imitated your last workout -and that was the basis for my wonder if you got sore -but I had to adjust for height, since I'm both taller and also not well-conditioned.

I wonder if I risked any injury by trying to best 38.5 DL of 225 on the 4" blocks.??

FWIW, my form was not great, but I did touch at least 1 side of the weight (touch and go) for each rep -and came at least close to lockout on the reps that were sloppy.

So your 36 and the other recent DL were conventional for assistance work?

Gordon Wayne Watts said...

My last comment even begs the querstion - How did I get so strong so fast? (Or did I? --Perhaps touch and go was too easy. -FWIW, I videoed 2 sets -one set of 3 and another set of 5.5, but, as B4, I didn't post it publicly as I'm embarassed by the low numbers.)

I know I didn't use any enhancements -unless you count the varied protein powders -or, a likewise increase in caloric intake.

Nia Shanks said...

If it says "deadlift" that means conventional.

You really should use picture perfect form for every single rep, otherwise you risk injury and overtraining.

Touch-and-go reps are easier than performing each rep from a deadstop.

Gordon Wayne Watts said...

Thx 4 the clarification on the DL nomenclature (sumo vs conv).

I think you're right about bad form leading to injury (due to jerking movements, or a curved back, for example) -and over-training, but I think it can also lead to UNDER-training, since touch-and-go reps (bad form) are easier than from a standstill.

Since I did 225x9x3 as part of last workout's 38.5 (sloppy) reps, I bumped it up to 245x5 after warmup (on the cheat blocks again), and then I attempted a 1RM of 295, again, copying one of your 5/1/5/1 wave cycles, but the 1RM formula that predicted 5 reps of 245 = 1 rep of close to 295 overestimated my strength, and the weight moved only inches. (Ironically, the same formulas UNDERESTIMATED my bench 1RM as tested - LOL)

---
Sorry to br long-winded, but my point here is that I used somewhat better form on the 245x5, letting it rest for a bit -BUT I kept tension on the bar, so that my arms did not have any 'slack' in them -protecting from injury -and (I'm guessing) making the next rep easier.

---
QUESTION: Is that how you do your sets of, say, 5 or 10, ...by keeping some tension between you and the weight -and not letting any slack in your arms??