Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sumo Deadlifting

Well, yesterday was the first time I pulled sumo in almost five months. Considering that little fact, I was pleased with today's training session.

1) Sumo Deadlift - worked up to two singles with 265. The second one felt good so I pulled 275 for a single. Finished off with two more singles at 265, with the last one being conventional (just for the hell of it and to see if I could do it).

2) Good Mornings - 85x12, 90x2x10, 95x8

3) Front Squat - 85x2x8, 75x10

4a) Pallof Press w/ 2 second hold 40x2x10 each side
4b) V Ups - 2x15

After a lay off from sumo deadlifting and getting over my injuries, I have decided to prepare for another meet. I considered doing a full meet this time around, but decided to once more do push/pull.

I'm going to do something different and focus heavily on my deadlift. Each lower body training day I will be doing some version of a pull. We'll see how things go.

My Mom competed in a meet on Saturday. Not only did she drop two weight classes, but she improved her total by 15 pounds! Check out those videos along with some other women dominating in the weight room who are strong AND feminine. Just click this link => Girl Power - Strong and Feminine.

5 comments:

Zach said...

Good luck with your training prep!

Nia Shanks said...

Thanks, Zach!

Gordon Wayne Watts said...

I decided to review your original training logs to see the rate of progress you made (in order to give me an idea of how fast I might make gains), and I see a gap in your workout between late May and early February of this year.

You mention being injured (I'm guessing that was why you took time off), and I was wondering if your injury was something that maybe was preventable that you would not mind sharing.

Also, even if it was not related to exercise, if you the way you dealt with it (your treatment plan and other precautions) is something that might benefit your readers, it may be good to ask.

Sorry that I would ask you what might be a personal question, but it's always good to learn from past experiences & mistakes -including that of other people.

Thx!

Nia Shanks said...

I got injured by pushing too hard all the time and not taking it easy from time to time. For example, I am "deloading" this week -- lifting very, very light and easy to give my body a chance to rest and recover.

You can't go on full blast for an extended period of time without taking a break and NOT get worn out or injured. I've finally smartened up since then, so I haven't gotten injured since.

Gordon Wayne Watts said...

Thx 4 sharing, Nia!

While injuries can happen in any form or fashion, in this case, this is an experience that has the potential to help others -maybe save their lives &/or avoid/reduce preventable problems. (This is a good principle tha , imho, bears repeating early & often.)

Implicit in my reply on your FatSolutions blog was my possibly disagreement with you over training philosophies, and you cetrainly have 'cred' because of your success; however, there should still be some way to measure initial or starting levels of streangth -as a baseline.

Of course, I wasn't trying to disagree simply for the sake of excitement or fun, but all the same, it would appear I didn't completely agree here.

(-:/

And, my concern in my other post (maybe others wondered the same thing) was how long after a grueling workout do you need until strength levels are maximum (so your reading or measurement is accurate).