Friday, October 3, 2008

Are you body smart?

1) Deadlift 195x7, 6 215x2x1
2) Pistol 2x8
3) Seated Calf Raise 50x2x8

Today just didn't feel that great; my strength and energy levels weren't as high as usual. Originally I had planned to include metabolic work at the end, but left it out. This is a great example of "listening to your body." Yes, sometimes we should all suck it up and bust out some exercises, but, after you train long enough, you start to understand your body more. Today, if I had done the additional work, I feel it would have done more bad than good. By this I mean that I probably wouldn't recover from the workout as quickly.

Once you become "body smart," learn how to listen to it. For example, Mark Spitz was known to skip workouts. I believe he had good body intelligence, and, if he had done all of the workouts, he probably would have overtrained. As a result, he won 7 gold medals.

Like I was saying; don't use this as an excuse to not workout consistently. But, if your body feels worn down, listen to it, and give it a rest.

No comments: