Tuesday, March 16, 2010

20 Pound PR: Conventional Deadlift from 4 Inch Step

Yesterday's training session went exceptionally well. It was one of those days where everything felt perfect and I set a huge PR on most exericses for the day.

1) Conventional Deadlift from 4 Inch Step - I worked up to 275 which was a 20 pound PR! Here's the video:


I recorded myself a month ago when I pulled 255 for this lift and a couple of weeks ago when I pulled 275 conventional from the floor. On both of those lifts I practically performed a Romanian Deadlift. My hips came up much faster than my shoulders on both lifts.

After seeing those videos and knowing what I was doing wrong, I am focusing more on keeping my chest up and forcing my shoulders up and back from the beginning of the lift. While it's still not perfect (as you can see in the video) it is better than the last time I performed both variations of the conventional deadlift.

After pulling 275, I did a few more singles at 265, 255, and 245. After that I did a back-off set with 195 and pulled it 10 times.

2) Front Squat - I must admit, I absolutely suck at squatting. My numbers are weak and it's by far my weakest lift out of the deadlift, bench, and squat. After I get my deadlift where I want it, I'll focus on improving my squat.

Even though the numbers aren't great, I still set a PR today: 95x12.


I performed one more set after this one: 105x8

3a) Natural Glute Ham Raise - 12/10

3b) Modified Dragon Fly - 12/10 This exercise is tougher than it looks, but it's an excellent choice for abdominal work:


If you have a camera I highly recommend recording yourself. Since I've been recording certain lifts for the past couple of months I have been able to make the necessary adjustments which has allowed me to set new PRs almost every training session.

By the way, I posted Part 3 of my interview with Tony Gentilcore over at The Fat Solutions yesterday. You can check that out here => Tony Gentilcore on Cardio and Planks.

If you want some advanced plank exercises, make sure you check it out.

No comments: