Monday, February 2, 2009

If you only have 30 minutes, get OFF the elliptical!


As I walked into the gym today, I saw a sign: "You must sign in to use elliptical/treadmill due to high demand. 30 minute time limit."

Wow. As I made my way to the locker room I walked past the packed out "cardio" area. A few minutes later I entered the weight lifting room. There was a whopping 3 people in there; all on machines . . . of course.

Before I continue, I must make a confession: Several years ago I used to spend several hours a week on an elliptical machine. I thought I was doing the “right thing” for keeping my body lean and healthy.

I continued this for probably a year or so. One day, I realized my true hatred of spending so much time on a machine. I never liked it to begin with, but now I really hated it.

In my frustration I searched for a better answer to my body composition goals. To keep a long story short, I discovered the truth about intervals and weight training.

To keep this from being a 10 page report, I’ll be brief. The truth is that if you want maximum results in minimum time, you absolutely must engage in strength training. If you want to do more to help your body composition, do interval training (bodyweight exercises, or machines-bike, treadmill, rower).

After learning this exciting news, I got off the elliptical for good and just stuck with my weight training and added intervals a few times a week. To be honest, I was nervous. Would I gain more fat? Would my body suffer from removing hours of activity every week?

Nope. I didn’t gain any additional fat. Heck, to be honest, I felt a lot better! I was no longer a slave to a machine. After I learned about better nutrition and continued my education on weight training and intervals, my body went to a whole new (and improved) level.

I was leaner. I was stronger. I just felt better. And I had more time! I will never go back to wasting time on a machine.

I am still amazed when people come up to me in the gym and ask how I “got in such great shape.” I’ll reply with, “I lift weights at least 3 times a week. I’ll also do some bodyweight circuits or intervals with dumbbells once or twice a week. “ Then they automatically ask, “But what about cardio? Do you run?” This is always the fun part, “No. I don’t use any machines or do any long cardio sessions.”

A couple days later, I run into the same person. Guess what she’s doing? She’s plodding along on the elliptical, reading a magazine nonetheless.

It confuses the hell out of me sometimes. When people ask how I got my body lean, and I tell how, they still don’t listen! If only they would get off the machine and use that 30 minutes to lift weights! They would see amazing results!

Oh well. I’ll stop ranting now. I only hope that you heed my advice and stop spending endless time on a machine in hopes of getting your ideal body.

Lift weights, and use a weight that is actually challenging. Don’t even think about touching the pretty pink dumbbells.

No comments: