Thursday, December 30, 2010

Squats & Sprints

Today's training session:

1) Squat - 115 x 3 x 4 I altered my stance a little and stopped once I just broke past parallel. I'm keeping the weight really light and focusing on my form. I suck at squatting, but I'm determined to change this. Deadlifting is still my main priority, so I'm going to work up slowly with my squat.

2a) Double Kettlebell Full Front Squat (one kettlebell in each hand held at shoulders) - 3 x 10

2b) Ab Wheel Rollout - 3 x 10

3) Hill Sprints - 6

I completed the entire workout in a little under 30 minutes, excluding warm-up.

I finished things up by playing some football with my dog. This consists mostly of me punting the football and her retrieving it. : )

There's a reason why I'm lowering my training weights and stopping my sets with a couple of reps "left in the tank".

Why???

Find out here => Check Your Ego

3 comments:

Gordon Wayne Watts said...

But don't deeper squats (e.g., below parallel) give you an even better workout? (Implying a lighter weight with a deeper squat mkight supplament or compliment the heavier 'just barely parallel' squat.)

Also: Don't squats help the initial ROM of the deadlift, assuming you recruit your legs?

And, if so, would it be more benefit than cost to emphasize squats as well if you're working on deadlift strength?

Lastly, some of my peeps and homies either deadlift once each 2 weeks -or make every other weekly deadlift a 'light' session -- I am still musing this idea -and comparing it to the weekly scheme with just as heavy reps -but with lower volume -and wondering which is superiour.

Gordon Wayne Watts said...

The once every 2-weeks comment was because I was thinking that if you squat more, you might have to deadlift less -to keep from overtraining -- but that this might still be OK, since deadlifting less often sometimes works for some people who need more recovery time.

Nia Shanks said...

I'm using the just below parallel squat to get used to the movement in case I decide to do a full powerlifting meet.

Yes, strong legs help deadlifting.